In June 2012 I wrote a post entitled “Increasing Your Lung Capacity and Breathing for Better BJJ” I talked about Freediving methods that are used to increase lung capacity and breathing patterns. I showed a small training device I was using called a Ultrabreathe Compact Breathing Exerciser. The other day at BJJ class I saw one of the guy wearing a High Altitude Training Mask (a.k.a. Elevation Training Mask) as shown in the picture. I was fascinated when I realized the advantages of the design over what I was using. Here is a comparison:
- The mask can be warn during a work out to increase effectiveness of its resistance.
- The mask stays on your face and you do not get a tired jaw like I did with the Ultrabreathe.
- The masks breathing settings do not change. My Ultrabreathe has a dial and can easily be bumped or changed. I am constantly have to adjust it to where I need it.
- One down side to the mask. It is twice as expensive as the Ultrabreathe.
- The mask comes in different colors and has replaceable valves.
- It looks as easy to clean as the rest of my BJJ gear.
I think I am going to have to get one and then write a review on it. If you have had any experience with them please let me know your findings.
Jiu-Jitsu is Life and Life is Jiu-Jitsu