The time has come at last! My instructor (Mark) says I’m ready to test for Blue Belt. I’ll be testing July 11, 2009 at Pedro Sauer’s first school, Unified, in Sandy, Utah. I am feeling ready! I’ve notice in the past month how much easier it is to pick up new moves or techniques. I’ve also started to see how things can flow together or transition into something else.
The test covers 88 different techniques. I have tried to match up every thing on the list with what is shown in Renzo and Royler Gracie’s book: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Theory and Technique (click to see the book). Here is what I have so far:
1. Tie The Belt (BJJ T&T pg. 30)
2. Roll Forward (BJJ T&T pg. 32)
4. Bridge (UPA) (BJJ T&T pg. 34)
7. Elbow Escape Movements (3 Options) (BJJ T&T pg. 88)
8. Stand Up in Base (BJJ T&T pg. 152) ???
9. Two-Handed Choke Defense (BJJ T&T pg. 38)
10. Same Side Wrist Grab Escape (BJJ T&T pg. 40)
11. Two-Hand Wrist Grab Escape (BJJ T&T pg. 44)
12. One-Hand Lapel Grab Defense (Straight Arm) (BJJ T&T pg. 112)
17. Front Kick Defense (BJJ T&T pg. 60)
20. T-Position Hip Throw (BJJ T&T pg. 46)
26. Upa with Choke Defense (BJJ T&T pg. 58)
28. Basic Cross Choke (BJJ T&T pg. 50)
29. Basic Cross Choke from Mount (BJJ T&T pg. 193)
34. Kimura (From Guard) (BJJ T&T pg. 96)
37. Cross Choke Defense in the Guard (Squeeze the
Bread) (BJJ T&T pg. 56) ???
39. Scissor Sweep to Mount (BJJ T&T pg. 64)
40. Armlock from Guard (BJJ T&T pg. 130)
41. Triangle from Guard (BJJ T&T pg. 124)
42. Guillotine Choke from Guard (BJJ T&T pg. 104)
I will add more as I document them. For now here is what I have of the 88. I hope this helps. I will also blog later about what the test was like. I’m a little nervous. It would have been nice to read a post from someone who had taken the test at Unified before hand.